About the Fire

Last Wednesday, I put a bagel in the toaster and went downstairs to the basement where I work to continue working while it toasted. I was thinking of my boyfriend’s toaster which is slow to toast. I had forgotten that my friend’s toaster is super quick. I was downstairs about five minutes. Unfortunately, the toaster was old and had a faulty “pop out when done” button. I told my friend whose house it is about the toaster and we should have replaced it a year ago, but we didn’t.

I smelled the bagel burning. As I went up the stairs, I smelled an electrical fire smell. The toaster had decent flames coming off it. I yanked the plug from the toaster. I then looked around for the fire extinguisher and couldn’t find it. I thought about trying to smother it or throwing water on it, but I knew there were some instances where you shouldn’t use water so I didn’t do anything.

My dog came up the stairs then and the fire started spreading. All I could think about was my dog’s safety. I grabbed the phone and dialed 911. I considered getting my cat, but she’s skittish, even with me- even without something scary happening so I left her. I ran outside. I got the neighbor’s out of their house (the houses are attached). 8-10 min. later the fire department arrived.

The kitchen is gutted and there is water damage in the basement, broken windows from the firemen- even some damage to the second floor. The house is uninhabitable for an estimated four weeks to three months, based on estimates from the experts my friend is working with to put her house back together.

I put a message up on Twitter the day it happened explaining that because I caused the fire, I will be paying my friend’s insurance deductible and other costs that come up. The costs involved with the fire are far and above what is comfortable for me to pay. If you feel inclined to help, you can do so by purchasing a goody bag or by doing a phone sex or cam call with me on NiteFlirt. It would help me immensely if you would simply coming to me the next time you get horny!

My cat was rescued by a fireman. She received emergency treatment and is doing really well. She is back to normal now, I am only hopeful there isn’t long term damage to her health because she was breathing the smoke for about two hours. Things are moving quickly in terms of getting the house repaired. I am only left with helping my friend with the logistics and dealing with the guilt. But I will survive.